Key announcements

Our council tax and benefits online systems and forms may be unavailable on Saturday 21 May between 8am and 2pm due to planned maintenance. Details of how to offer support to Ukraine residents fleeing war, and where to find information and advice are on our City of Sanctuary webpage

Other ways to pay your rent

You can pay your rent or other housing account charges using the following methods:

Credit or debit card

  • Through your online Council account
  • Using the automatic payment line on 0121 464 2001, 24 hours a day. You will need your payment reference number.
  • At a Pay Zone outlet: You can pay your rent with cash or debit card at a local PayZone outlet. You will need your rent payment card.
  • At the Post Office: You can pay rent by cash or cheque at a local Post Office. You will need either your rent payment card OR your barcode.
  • At a PayPoint outlet: You can pay rent with cash only at a local PayPoint outlet. You will need your rent payment card.

Standing order and personal banking

To set up a bank standing order or to set up telephone/internet banking payments you will need the following details:

Payee details: Birmingham City Council - Housing Income
Bank name: Barclays bank
Sort code: 20-07-90
Account number: 33620360

You must also quote your 12-digit payment reference number so that the payment reaches the correct account.

Housing payment card

Housing payment cards are being replaced by barcode payments. If you have a housing payment card then you will still be able to use it. If you lose your card or it becomes unreadable it will be replaced by a barcoded bill.

The list below shows which housing accounts can be paid using a housing payment card:

  • Rent
  • Rechargeable repair (repair for damage caused by the tenant)
  • Rent account (garage charges)
  • Arrears owing at a previous tenancy
  • An overpayment of Housing Benefit
  • Temporary accommodation.

Problems paying rent or other housing accounts

Please remember that your rent is a priority debt which means that your home is at risk if you do not keep up to date with your payments.

If you have problems paying your rent and you are unable to clear the balance in full you must contact the Rent Service immediately to discuss your options.

Collecting rent debt from your benefits

We can collect your debt directly from your benefit. This includes Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Income Support and Universal Credit.

Contact the Rent Service to find out if you are eligible.

rating button