rating button
I have a spare bedroom | Money advice | Birmingham City Council

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Check out the latest advice, service disruptions, information and support about Coronavirus (COVID-19) Latest updates

I have a spare bedroom

The removal of the spare room subsidy or ‘bedroom tax’ means that your housing benefit may be reduced if you have more bedrooms that you need.  If this means you cannot afford the rent then you could consider the following options.

If you are a council or housing association tenant you can consider down-sizing.  Depending on your situation you may get additional priority on the housing register if you are moving to a smaller property.  

If you have a spare bedroom you can consider taking a lodger.  

Alternatively please read on for advice on saving money which may help you pay the additional rent.