Body of Person Approval (BOPA) Certificate for multiple performances involving children

If your organisation or school already has a Body of Person Approval Certificate, you will not need to apply for a child performance licence for each child. However, if a child will need absence from school to perform then you will need a licence for each child affected.

To qualify for a Body of Person Certificate from the council, your organisation or school must:

  • Perform three or more shows a year
  • Have more than ten children who perform for you
  • Have a child protection policy in place and provide us with a copy
  • Have applied for child performance licences or exemptions for at least two years; or
  • Have run six performances which have involved children with no concerns from the council during this time.
  • Appoint an appropriate adult who is a registered chaperone (approved by the local authority) to be in charge of the child throughout the performance period

You must submit your BOPA application at least 21 days before the start of the performance or activity.

Apply for a Body of Persons Approval Certificate


Be aware that it is your responsibility to ensure that you have read and fully understood the statutory requirements for the licence you are applying. Failure to comply may lead to the licence being revoked and possible prosecution.

If you wish to report an issue or make a complaint you can do so at If you make a formal complaint we will acknowledge your complaint and contact you about it within 15 working days.

rating button