Apply for a child performance licence exemption

Some performances may be exempt from needing a licence.

You can apply for an exemption from a child performance licence if the performance runs for four days and the following applies:

  • no payment is made to the child or another person for their performance, other than to cover expenses
  • no absence from school is required
  • the child will not have performed for more than four days in the last six months, including the dates of your performance
  • the performance is being organised by the child’s school.

If the above is not true of your performance, you will need to apply for a child performance licence or apply for a Body of Person Approval (BOPA) as long as you meet the BOPA criteria.

Apply for a child performance licence exemption

Submit your exemption application at least 21 days before the start of the performance or activity. If it is found the child does need a licence once the exemption has been submitted, we cannot guarantee the processing of this in time for your performance.

We only licence children who live in Birmingham (Find out which local authority you need to apply to)

Exemption Request Form

You must appoint an appropriate adult as a chaperone to be in charge of the child throughout the performance period. This may be any adult you consider suitable, and they do not have to be a registered chaperone.


Make sure that you have read and fully understood the statutory requirements for the licence you are applying. Failure to comply may lead to the licence being revoked and possible prosecution.

rating button