Apply for free school travel assistance
In some instances the City Council is able to offer children free school travel assistance to get to school. However please note that these are usually exceptional circumstances and only approximately 20% of applications meet the specified criteria and are successful.
To apply for free school travel assistance your child must:
- Live in Birmingham
- Be between 5 and 16 years old (unless they have learning difficulties or disabilities)
- Attend one of the following:
- State school (school maintained by the Council)
- Pupil referral unit
- Non-maintained special school
- Free school
- Have to walk further than the distance (qualifying distance) shown in the table below when considering their shortest possible walking routes
Started at the school they’re travelling to after 1 September 2013
Up to 8 years old
Over 8 years old
You won't be able to apply for free school travel assistance if:
- Your child goes to a school more than the qualifying distance from your home because that's the school you want, even though your child could have gone to a school within that distance.
- Your child is attending a denominational (faith) school, unless you’re on a low income and qualify for additional support.
- You haven’t already accepted a place at a school.
To apply for free school travel assistance, please complete our online form.
Please note that you will need to login or register for a Brum Account in order to use this form.
Due to the high volume of applications being received by Travel Assist, after the start of the school year, there is a delay of approximately one month in processing new and renewed Bus Passes, for which we apologise. Before contacting Travel Assist regarding your outstanding application please check your junk mail for Council emails regarding eligibility or bus pass codes and only contact Travel Assist if the application is older than 20 working days.
We are advising applicants to make their own travel arrangements at this time, and for all eligible applications delayed for 20 days or more a reimbursement will be paid for the cost of your child’s daily bus fare. Once again please accept our apology.
Send claims, evidence (e.g. bus tickets) and your completed vendor form to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Bus Pass Claim’ in the subject field.