Key announcements

Due to scheduled maintenance Tuesday 10 December 8:00am to 9:00am, some of our online forms may be unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience. The general election takes place on Thursday 12 December 2019. Check who your candidate is and where to vote.

Living in a property after the tenant has moved out

If you are living in a council home and the tenant or a joint tenant moves out, you must also move out of the property. If you keep living in the property we call this "unauthorised occupation".

You are an unauthorised occupier if you carry on living in a council home after:

While you are living in the property, we will charge you for its use and occupation while we determine if you have a legal right to the tenancy or have a right to remain in the property. These charges are not rent. If you don't have a right to the tenancy or a right to remain, we will take action to take the property back.

You will be charged until you:

  • become the tenant
  • are moved to alternative council accommodation, in line with our allocation policy, or
  • move out 

Contact Tenancy Estate Management for further advice

rating button