Financial Accounts 2022 to 2023
NOTICE: DELAYS TO THE PUBLICATION OF DRAFT ACCOUNTS, PUBLIC INSPECTION, AUDIT AND PUBLICATION OF AUDITED ACCOUNTS: YEAR ENDED 31 MARCH 2023
Each financial year Birmingham City Council is required to produce and publish a draft set of accounts, allow public inspection of the draft accounts, have the draft accounts audited and to subsequently publish the final audited set of accounts.
The deadlines set under regulation for the accounts prepared for the 2022-23 financial year are:
- Publish draft set of accounts one day prior to the start of public inspection.
- Public inspection to start no later than 1 June 2023 for a period of 30 working days.
- Completion of audit and publication of audited accounts by 30 September 2023.
Public Inspection for 2022/23 has been delayed whilst we finalise our draft accounts. This is partly as a result of the start of public inspection being brought forward by two months compared to last year and also due to the issues we are facing with the implementation of our new financial system. This is the first set of accounts being produced using our new system. We are engaging with our external auditors and working to resolve all issues from the roll-out and will announce when the accounts are open for inspection through all the standard channels in due course.
Completion of the audit and the publication of audited accounts will also be delayed.
- Section 26 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014, at each audit of the accounts, any persons interested have a right to inspect the accounting records for the financial year to which the audit relates and all books, deeds, contracts, bills, vouchers, receipts and other documents relating to those records.
- Regulations 14 and 15 of the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015 (as amended by The Accounts and Audit (Amendment) Regulations 2022) require that this right (and associated rights) are exercisable over a single period of 30 working days, commencing no later than 1 June 2023.
- Regulation 10 of the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015 (as amended by The Accounts and Audit (Amendment) Regulations 2022), requires the publication of audited accounts by 30 September 2023
Page last updated: 7 June 2023