rating button
Casual, day-by-day trading | Trading at the markets | Birmingham City Council

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

National lockdown: Stay at Home Check out our coronavirus updates and advice.

Casual, day-by-day trading

You can trade on a casual basis at the Rag Market and the Open Market

You must pre book for a week and pay in advance the week before you intend to trade.

Download and complete the application form

Email your completed application form to Marketstalls@Birmingham.gov.uk along with any specific requirements that you may have.

To register as a casual trader you will need to supply the following documents:

  • your British or EU passport, or an approved Right to Work document, which shows you are allowed to work in the UK
  • proof of your address, such as a bank statement or utility bill no more than 3 months old
  • a recent photograph of yourself
  • your National Insurance number
  • evidence that you have Third Party Public Liability Insurance to indemnify yourself from claims for personal injury. This insurance can be obtained from most insurance brokers or through specialist organisations, such as the National Market Traders Federation.

If you don’t bring these things with you, we won’t be able to register you and you won’t be able to trade.

You will need to provide the originals of the documentation you email us when you start to trade.