Accommodation Finding Team (AFT)
Who we are
The Accommodation Finding Team (AFT) provides a service for private landlords and letting agencies.
We assist people in Birmingham who are homeless to find good quality, private rented accommodation.
Through regular engagement with landlords, the AFT:
- has good knowledge of what landlords are looking for in tenants
- understands the issues and circumstances which can lead to tension between a tenant and their landlord
- recognises the concerns of landlords around recent and planned changes in regulations and legislation
A key focus of the AFT is to ensure that placements are right for both the tenant and the landlord.
How we can help
All landlords who register their interest in working with the AFT will benefit from our core service.
- to arrange meetings and property viewings
- a custom property matching service for landlords and tenants
- a free property compliance inspection, versus the housing, health and safety rating system
- complete background checks, including right to rent checks, on all tenants
- to complete a tenant affordability assessment, to ensure they can afford to rent the property
- to conduct a property inventory record and inspections at the beginning of the tenancy
- support with tenant handover management and full document presentation
- to support tenants with arranging for the rental element of Universal Credit or Housing Benefit to be paid to the landlord at the beginning of the tenancy (on a case-by-case basis)
- advice and support with any issues with the tenancy
Landlord Incentive packages
The AFT take responsibility for:
- finding suitable tenants
- helping set up the tenancy
- helping landlords to join our incentive package schemes
The AFT recognises that individual circumstances for landlords vary. Based on our knowledge of the market, the AFT have developed several options:
- Option 1: One-time payment incentive
- Option 2: Rent and deposit agreement
- Option 3: Help to Rent insurance scheme
- Option 4: 360 Inventory
- Option 5. Rent guarantee scheme/insurance
- Option 6: 5 year lease
We ask for:
- self-contained properties of all types and sizes
- your property to be in a good state of repair and have a well-maintained heating system
- your property to meet specific housing standards.
- a valid gas safety certificate from a Gas Safe Registered installer
- a valid electrical safety certificate from an electrician registered with a government-approved body, such as NICEIC (National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting) (valid for ten years)
- a valid energy performance certificate
How to sign up
To sign up for our services, contact us to make an enquiry. A member of our team will then get in touch with you for an initial discussion and to discuss options for signing up.
If you wish to proceed, we will complete a risk assessment and arrange an inspection of your property to ensure it is fit for letting.
If your property is suitable, you will be approved to use our services.
How to find out more
To find out more about working with the AFT you can contact the service by:
Telephone: 0121 675 4885
Page last updated: 6 November 2023