Food hygiene rating scheme
All food businesses in Birmingham are regularly visited by our team of environmental health officers to review and rate their hygiene standards. After each inspection the food business will receive one of the following ratings:
- 5 (very good)
- 4 (good)
- 3 (generally satisfactory)
- 2 (improvement necessary)
- 1 (major improvement necessary)
- 0 (urgent improvement necessary)
Food hygiene ratings are public and can be viewed online.
Challenging your rating
If you believe your food hygiene rating is unfair, you can:
- appeal your rating
- request a revisit
- use your ‘right to reply’ to have your own response to the rating appear alongside it
Further details on how to challenge a food hygiene rating are set out in the attachments below.