Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Licensing Temporary Event Notice

This page can be referred to as

Licence Summary
If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in England or Wales at which you wish to conduct licensable activities (i.e. sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment etc), you must give a Standard Temporary Event Notice (TEN) to your local licensing authority no later than ten working days before the event (excluding day of service, day of event, weekends or bank holidays). If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of fifty (50) TENs per year.

Late notices can be given no later than five working days but no earlier than nine working days before the event in relation to which the notice is given. A late notice given later than five working days before the event to which it relates will be returned as void and the activities described in it will not be authorised.

The number of late notices that can be given in any one calendar year is limited to five for personal licence holders and two for non-personal licence holders. These count towards the total number of TENs (i.e. fifty (50) TENs per year for personal licence holders and five TENs for non-personal licence holders).

If there is an objection from either the Police or Local Authority exercising Environmental Health functions, the event will not go ahead and a counter notice will be issued.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time. The maximum period for using premises for licensable activities under the authority of a TEN is 168 hours (seven days) with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

Eligibility Criteria
An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given.

The notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age.

The notice should contain:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority;
  • a statement relating to certain matters;
  • any other required information.

The matters referred to above are:

  • details of the licensable activities;
  • the event period;
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place;
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises;
  • any other required matters.

Guidance and Advice
Detailed information including the licensing regulations, application forms, fees etc is available on the website of the Home Office.

Regulations: -

Application Process
If the premises are situated within Birmingham, the TEN must be given in writing (including by electronic means) to the licensing section - contact details indicated below, within the timescales specified above. A fee is payable with the notice.

The Licensing Section will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

At the same time as submitting your application to the local authority you must also give a copy of the notice to the Police and Environmental Health. For details of where to send your copy applications please see the attached document at the bottom of this page, Responsible Authority List for Temporary Event Notices.

The Chief Police Officer who receives a notice and believes that the event would undermine crime prevention objectives can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within 48 hours of receipt of the temporary event notice.

The licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. They may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of the licensing objectives. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

A Police Chief may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

Counter notices may be provided by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.

Application Form
The Birmingham City Council Temporary Event Notice Form is attached at the bottom of this page.

Once you have completed the application form it can be submitted to the Licensing Section by a variety of means:

By Post - send completed applications to the address as indicated in the contact details below.
Postal applications must be accompanied by a cheque or postal order for the appropriate fee (see below) and made payable to 'Birmingham City Council'.

In Person - applications can be submitted in person at the address and during the times shown below under contact details.

By Email - completed applications can be submitted electronically by attaching the completed form and any associated supporting documents to the Licensing Section email address as indicated in the contact details below.
Please note that electronic applications submitted by email can only be accepted if there is a scanned signature on the application form. On receipt of your application by email a Licensing Officer will contact the applicant to acquire payment of the appropriate fee via a debit or credit card.

Online - alternatively if you are applying from within a European Member State you can apply on the business link website using the following link – Apply Online - Licensing Temporary Event Notice.

The fee for each individual event is £21.

Processing Timescale
Our target for dealing with applications is two clear working days excluding weekends and bank holidays.

Tacit Consent - Grounds for Refusal
Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with applications within the target period then the application can be deemed granted/approved.

For this application tacit consent DOES apply.

Complaints / Enquiries
Contact the Licensing Section - see contact details below.

Consumer Complaint
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Bureau will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

If the licensing authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice, the Chief Police Officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' Court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Trade Associations
National Outdoor Events Association (NDEA)
Society of Event Organisers (SEO)
Event Supplier and Services Association (ESSA)

Public Register
You can browse the Licensing Act 2003 Public Register which will enable you to view and conduct advanced searches on all Temporary Event Notices ISSUED by this authority including PENDING applications.

Licensing Section,
Crystal Court,
Aston Cross Business Village,
50 Rocky Lane,
B6 5RQ
(Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 9am - 4pm,
Wednesday: 10am - 4pm,
Friday: 9am - 3.30pm)

Telephone: 0121 303 9896
Fax: 0121 303 9982
e-mail: licensing@birmingham.gov.uk