Apply for a riding establishment licence

If you want to run a business that hires out horses or ponies for riding or instruction, you must have a licence. This includes providing ponies for parties where guests ride ponies.

We will call upon the services of an approved vet for new and renewal applications.

You will also be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check when applying for this licence.

Check the DEFRA guidance for information on licence conditions.

Applying for a licence

Before applying for any animal welfare licences you should discuss your business proposal with the Senior Animal Welfare Officer first. If your application is for a new or purpose-built premises, you’ll also need planning permission before your application can be considered.

To apply in writing, complete the downloadable application form and return it to the address on the form. We aim to process applications within 25 days. Contact us if we have not given you a decision after this time.

rating button