Request for new and further Standard Authorisation for Deprivation of Liberty and DoLS Review
The Mental Capacity Act (MCA) and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) protect vulnerable adults in care homes and hospitals from breaches of their human rights.
If a care home or hospital assesses that an adult is vulnerable and unable to make decisions for themselves whilst in their care, they will request the Supervisory Body (usually the Local Authority) for standard authorisation for deprivation of liberty.
The request will be for authorisation to accommodate the person in the care home or hospital to provide care/medical treatment to ensure the person's safety.
The Supervisory Body will carry out an in-depth assessment to assess whether:
- The person has the mental capacity to make their own decisions.
- The care/medical treatment would deprive the person of their liberty.
- The care/medical treatment is in the best interests of the person.
How do I make DoLS request?
As of 3 April 2018, all DoLS requests to Birmingham City Council should be made using the forms below:
- New DoLS Standard Authorisation Request – Form 1
- Further DoLS Standard Authorisation Request – Form 2
- DoLS Review of an Existing Standard Authorisation (Part 8) – Form 10
When you submit the forms with a valid email address, you will receive a PDF version of the form.