Travel help for 16 to 18 year-old students
We don’t generally offer 16 to 18 year-old (post-16) students help with their travel.
However, we do offer some support for post-16 students (and sometimes older) who have Statements of Special Educational Needs or Education, Health and Care Plans.
To be considered for travel help, students need to meet the following minimum criteria:
- Be a resident of Birmingham
- Be attending a course of at least 450 guided learning hours per year at a school, further education college or institution, or 16-19 Academy.
- Have a Statement of Special Educational Needs, or an Education, Health and Care Plan.
- Be 16- to 18-years-old, or have started (and continue to attend) the relevant course before turning 19-years-old.
However, the majority of students who meet the above criteria still do not receive or need travel support.
When we’re deciding whether to offer students help with their travel we also take into consideration the following:
- The needs of students, where it isn’t reasonable to expect them to attend a specific school or college without any help.
- The increased choice between different education providers that additional help will give students.
- Our duty to make sure enough suitable education and training is available to meet the reasonable needs of 16- to 18-year-olds.
- The distance and journey time from the student’s home to place of learning, the cost of transport, and any alternative means of them attending.
- The nature of the route(s) that they could be reasonably expected to take.
- Any preferences they may have to attend a particular educational establishment based on religion or belief.
- The nature of the young person’s special educational needs, disability or learning difficulty (including any notes relating to transport in their Statement or Plan).
- Whether there’s a nearer institution that’s suitable and can provide the same or similar qualification(s).
- The best use of the Council’s resources.
If you feel you meet the criteria above, to apply for post-16 travel help you will need to complete and return a copy of our Post-16 Transport Request Form.
If you don’t meet the criteria, there may still be financial help or discounted travel schemes available. You can find more information in our Post-16 Transport Policy.