Online forms unavailable

Due to essential maintenance, some of our online forms will be unavailable on Sunday 22 April from 8am to 5pm. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Request permission

If you are a secure tenant of Birmingham City Council, you can ask for our permission to sublet part of your home or take in a lodger.

If you don’t get our permission first, you could lose your home.

You are not allowed to move out and rent your home to someone else. If you do, you could lose your home.

When you request permission, make sure you tell us:

  • the full name and date of birth of your prospective subtenant or lodger
  • details of which part of the property you want to sublet and the reasons you want to sublet
  • how long you want to sublet the property for
  • if you intend to charge your prospective subtenant or lodger

Remember that you must tell us if there is any change to the people who live in your home.

Request permission