Apply for a performing animal licence

If you want to keep or train an animal for exhibition you must apply for a licence. This includes mobile animal exhibits which visit schools, parties and fairs.

Check the DEFRA guidance for information on licence conditions.

If you’re entering an animal into a televised talent show, contact the Senior Animal Welfare Officer.

Applying for a licence

Before applying for any animal welfare licences you should discuss your business proposal with the Senior Animal Welfare Officer first. If your application is for a new or purpose-built premises, you’ll also need planning permission before your application can be considered.

To apply in writing, complete the downloadable application form and return it to the address on the form. We aim to process applications within 25 days. Contact us if we have not given you a decision after this time.

Page last updated: 28 September 2023

rating button