Apply for a school or college leaver Council Tax discount

If you live with someone who is a school or college leaver, you can get a 25% discount on your Council Tax bill.

How to qualify

To qualify for this discount, someone in your household must be aged 16 to 19 and have left school or college after 30 April in any given year. If they have left school or college before 30 April, you will not be eligible for the discount.

The school or college leaver living with you will be disregarded for the purposes of Council Tax until 1 November of the same year. This is unless they go into further education or employment before that time.

If they go into further education, then you must apply for a student discount.

If they take up employment, they will not be disregarded unless they have taken up an apprenticeship. If they have taken up an apprenticeship, you can apply for an apprenticeship exemption.

If they are 19 years old and their birthday is before 1 November, they will be disregarded until the day they turn 20. This is unless they are the only person living in the property, in which case they will be held liable to pay.

How to apply

You will need your Council Tax reference number to complete your application. This can be found on the top right corner of your Council Tax bill.

Apply for a school or college leaver discount

School and college leavers still entitled to Child Benefit

If you are still claiming Child Benefit for a child aged 18 or 19 years old who has recently left school or college, you can get a discount on your Council Tax bill.

Before you start, make sure that you can provide proof of your entitlement to Child Benefit. This can be a copy of your bank statement or your award letter.

Apply for a discount for school and college leavers still entitled to Child Benefit.

What happens next

After we review your application, we will send you a revised bill if you have been awarded the discount. If you have not been awarded the discount, we will contact you to let you know.

Report a change in circumstances

If there is a change in your circumstances, which would mean that you are no longer entitled to a discount, you must tell us immediately. You can do this by completing the other form for Council Tax enquiries.

If your discount is ending because you are starting full-time education, you may be able to apply for a student discount on your Council Tax.

Page last updated: 6 February 2024

rating button