Car free school streets
Since September 2019, roads outside 6 schools in Birmingham have been closed to motor traffic at the start and end of the school day. This is part of a pilot scheme to reduce congestion and improve air quality at the school gates as well as making it easier and safer to walk or cycle to school.
This scheme aims to:
- cut down on traffic and parking pressures outside schools
- discourage car journeys to school and encourage walking and cycling
- make the streets outside schools safer at the start and end of the day
- improve air quality and create a more pleasant environment for everyone
The schools involved are:
- Alston Primary (Heartlands)
- Chilcote Primary (Hall Green South)
- Cofton Primary (Longbridge & West Heath)
- Featherstone Primary (Stockland Green)
- Nelson Primary (Ladywood),
- St Francis CE Primary (Bournville & Cotteridge)
Please see how schools were selected and details on what type of locations are most appropriate for this part time closure of streets to traffic.
All schools in Birmingham are able to benefit through the existing Modeshift STARS scheme, which offers support and rewards to schools for taking steps to promote safer, greener and healthier travel.