How schools are selected
Prior to submitting your expression of interest, please read the following guidance notes in order to ensure your school would be a suitable a location for the scheme:
- Most suited to roads where there is little or no through road access, e.g. cul de sacs (more likely to be considered if only one/two points of entry, see example plan)
- Main arterial/distributor roads and roads used by bus services cannot be included.
- Surrounding streets should be able to accommodate any displaced traffic/parking.
- Local infrastructure is in place to support alternative means of travel, especially walking and cycling, e.g. local routes, safe crossing points, cycle storage.
- Availability of suitable ‘Park & Stride’ locations nearby.
- Consideration of any other traffic generators in the vicinity, e.g. shops, businesses, health centres, leisure facilities which could have an impact on the scheme.
Engagement and commitment
- Schools need to be signed up with and participating in the Modeshift STARS programme (including working towards accreditation and completion of a travel plan).
- School travel surveys will have recently been completed and will be collected from pupils on a regular basis.
- Previous activities or initiatives to encourage safer, greener and healthier travel.
- Previous activities or initiatives to address problem parking at the school gate.
- Schools will recruit volunteer marshals to staff the closure for at least the early stage of the scheme. Reminder activity will take place at the start of and intervals throughout every term.
- Commitment from the school to promote and support the pilot as appropriate
(NB please refer to the Memorandum of Understanding detailing any particular responsibilities).
- Proven support from school staff, parents, residents and local councillors.