Apply for an animal boarding licence

If you run a business that provides accommodation for other people’s dogs or cats you must have a licence. Accommodation includes commercial kennels, catteries, home dog boarding and dog day care centres. We may call upon the services of an approved vet for new applications.

Pet sitting does not require a licence. This is where a pet is looked after in its own home whilst the owner is away.

Check the DEFRA guidance for information on licence conditions:

Applying for a licence

Before applying for any animal welfare licences you should discuss your business proposal with the Senior Animal Welfare Officer first. If your application is for new commercial kennels, cattery or dog day care centre, you’ll also need planning permission before your application can be considered.

Apply online

To apply in writing, complete the downloadable application form and return it to the address on the form. We aim to process applications within 25 days. Contact us if we have not given you a decision after this time.

rating button