Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Housing Repairs


Welcome to Housing Repairs Self Service Appointments
...a quick and easy way to diagnose repairs…

You need a Birmingham City Council online account to report repairs. If you do not have one, click register to set one up.

Once you have an account you will be able to report repairs online to obtain an appointment and make enquiries about repairs you have already reported, via the blue options at the top of this screen.

Emergency and Urgent repairs

Emergency and Urgent repairs (i.e. need attention within 24 hours) or communal and equity share properties cannot be reported online. They must be reported to the contact centre. The numbers are:

  • 0800 073 3333 – free from a landline
  • 0121 678 5343 – textphone for people who are deaf or hard of hearing

For everything else, click on the appropriate blue option at the top of the page.

Essential Information
  • Birmingham has two repairs partners Wilmott Dixon Partnerships (formerly Inspace) and Mears Group Plc.
    Wilmott Dixon provides repair services to council homes in the south and the north of the city while Mears cover the central area. The list below shows which areas are covered by each partner. If you are not sure which is the repairs partner for your home, look in your Tenants Handbook or contact your local Housing Team.

    Wilmott Dixon Partnerships (formerly Inspace) cover the following wards in the North:

    Handsworth Wood
    Lozells and East Handsworth
    Perry Barr
    Stockland Green
    Sutton Four Oaks
    Sutton New Hall
    Sutton Vesey
    Sutton Trinity

    Mears cover the following wards in the Central Wards:

    Acocks Green
    Bordesley Green
    Hodge Hill
    Shard End
    Stechford and Yardley North
    Washwood Heath
    South Yardley

    Willmott Dixon Partnership cover the following following wards in the South:

    Bartley Green
    Hall Green
    Kings Norton
    Moseley and Kings Heath
    Selly Oak

  • If you smell gas the first thing you should do is contact the National Gas emergency service on 0800 111 999. They will ask a number of questions to ascertain the severity of the leak and will provide some gas safety advice. They will also, if required, arrange for an engineer to attend the property.

    In all cases you should also phone the contact centre on 0800 073 3333 after you have called the number above as our gas contractor will meet Transco on site.

    If you are having problems with gas appliances provided by the council, i.e. central heating hot water systems, then in the first instance you should contact the repairs contact centre on the number below, who will diagnose the issue and arrange an engineer to attend (if appropriate) to resolve the issue. If it is found the issue has been caused by appliances installed by yourself, charges for this call out could apply.

    Telephone: 0800 073 3333 or textphone 0121 678 5343 (for people who are deaf or hard of hearing).

    By law, Birmingham City Council must have all gas appliances and flues in council properties checked annually, except for gas appliances which you are entitled to have moved/installed by an installer registered on the gas safe register (such as if you have your own cooker). This annual gas service is free.

    We will contact you every year to make an appointment for an engineer to carry out the check.

    If you have not had a gas safety inspection in over 12 months you should contact the following teams in Birmingham City Council:

    North Birmingham - 0121 303 1833
    South Birmingham - 0121 303 5953
    Central Birmingham - 0121 675 6476

  • We can only respond if you live in a home owned by Birmingham City Council.

    When using the self service facility Birmingham City Council will not be able to process the following repairs:

    • Emergency repairs where an engineer will need to attend within 2 hours
    • Repairs deemed to need an engineer visit within 1 day
    • Gas repairs
    • Communal Repairs
    • Repairs to equity share properties

    If you try to report these repairs via the self service facility you will be instructed to phone the contact centre to book the repair.

    Birmingham City Council reserves the right to charge for any repairs if it is felt the repair was caused through deliberate damage or neglect. Full details of repairs tenants are responsible for can be found in the Conditions of Tenancy and the Tenants Handbook

    If you live in an area controlled by a TMO (Tenant Management Organisation) and you wish to report a repair in the first instance you should speak to the representative from the tenant management organisation. They will advise you on the best course of action to take in order to resolve the issue.

    If you wish to reschedule a repair appointment, 24 hours notice has to be provided in order to facilitate the request.

    During the repair if it is identified fittings need to be replaced, our repairs partner will endeavour to match existing colours and fittings however this cannot be guaranteed.

    It is not always possible to complete all works relating to a repair during the initial visit. If this is the case the partner will ‘make safe’ and if possible complete a temporary repair. A further appointment will then be booked to complete the remainder of the works. Examples of when this could happen include:

    • Repairs where specialist parts/equipment are required to complete the job
    • Jobs where scaffolding is required
  • Response times for our repair partners and descriptions of how we classify repair types are listed below.


    If there is a danger of personal injury, or damage to or security of the the property, we will respond within two hours, 24 hours a day, and seven days a week. Emergencies are where there is imminent risk to life and limb, for example, a collapsed roof after extreme weather, severe water leaks, sparks emitting from the electrical system and raw sewage entering the property. However there is no pre-determined list for emergency repairs.

    The housing service aims to deal with emergency repairs to council housing within two hours of them being reported, including those reported outside normal working hours.

    Emergency repairs are likely to need a follow-up repair because they may only be able to make safe the danger or risk.

    Other repairs may be categorised as an 'emergency' priority depending on the circumstances.

    If we carry out any emergency repairs that are your responsibility, we will charge you a reasonable cost including administration charges.


    If a repair is urgent (according to the Right to Repair legislation), we will respond within one, three or seven working days, depending on the type of repair you need.

    Examples of one-day repairs include:

    • repairing burst or leaking pipes
    • restoring total or partial loss of heating or hot water (in winter between Oct-May)
    • restoring total loss of water or electricity
    • restoring total or partial loss of gas supply
    • making the property secure
    • repairing unsafe electrical fittings

    Examples of three- or seven-day repairs include:

    • restoring partial loss of electricity or water
    • repairing a faulty door-entry phone
    • clearing a blocked sink, bath or basin
    • repairing water leaks through the roof


    This is for all other repairs. We aim to do these within 30 calendar days and will offer you an appointment. Please note that some larger and more complicated repairs may take longer.

    Not all repairs can be completed during the first appointment; if this is the case the contractor will usually complete a temporary repair and arrange for follow up visit(s) to complete the works.

  • When a property is vacated, it may require work to bring it back up to standard for a new occupant. We work with our repairs partner to make sure that necessary repairs are carried out before you move in so that your home will be clean, safe and fit to live in.

  • Condensate Pipe

    During severe weather if your heating is not working here are some actions that you can undertake yourself. If the fault code on your boiler determines that the condensate pipe is frozen, you should try to reset your boiler following the manufacturers instructions, then wait 2 to 3 minutes to see if the boiler re-fires. If the boiler does not re-fire and it is emitting a gurgling sound, then it is almost certain that your condensate pipe is frozen.

    How to identify a condensate pipe

    The condensate pipe is a plastic pipe (black, white or grey), coming from the bottom of the boiler and visible on the external wall.

    How to locate the blockage

    It is likely that the condensate pipe is frozen at the most exposed point external to the building or where there is some obstruction to flow. This could be the open end of the pipe, at a bend or elbow, or there is a dip in the pipe in which condensate can collect. The location of the blockage should be identified as closely as possible before taking further action.

    You should only attempt to thaw a condensate pipe that is at ground level and which is easily accessible to you. Under no circumstances should you attempt to thaw a condense pipe which is at height.

    The pipe can be thawed by applying a hot water bottle, a microwaveable heating pack (the sort used for muscular aches and pains) or cloths soaked in warm water to the exterior of the pipe, close to the point of blockage. Warm water can also be poured onto the pipe from a kettle, watering can or similar container. DO NOT USE BOILING WATER.


    You should now try to reset your boiler following the manufacturers instructions. Once you have reset the boiler you should wait 2 to 3 minutes to see if the boiler re-fires.

    If this does not resolve the issue then ring the Contact Centre on 0800 073 3333.

  • Housing Repairs

    • Telephone: 0800 073 3333 (free to call from a landline or mobile)
    • Textphone: 0121 675 8221
Frequently Asked Questions
    • Under the Government's Right to Repair regulations, you have the right to have certain repairs done within set time limits. They are called 'qualifying' repairs, and include:

      • Unsafe electrical fittings
      • a blocked sink, bath, basin or toilet
      • a leaking roof or water system, and
      • broken banisters or handrails.

      If the councils repair partner is unable to complete a qualifying repair within the correct time, you have the right to ask us to get another approved repairs partner to do the work.

    • We will repair and maintain the structure of the property you live in and the outside of the building (including the roof, drains, gutters and pipes).

      In blocks of flats and maisonettes, we are responsible for:

      • Entrance doors
      • halls
      • stairways
      • lifts
      • rubbish chutes
      • lighting, and
      • other things that are shared by all the tenants and leaseholders.

      For tenants, our responsibilities also include:

      • Any inside fixtures and fittings that we originally provided, as explained in the conditions of tenancy
      • all pipes, wiring, heating systems, drainage, power and light fittings

      In tenants' gardens, we will look after:

      • Boundary fences or walls we provide (we may remove them rather than repair them)
      • any outbuildings, sheds, porches, or garages we originally put up (we may remove them rather than repair them)
      • any step or path that is an essential means of access to the property
    • This is explained in detail in the Conditions of Tenancy booklet, in the Tenants Handbook. The following is only a summary and not an exhaustive list:

      General responsibilities

      • Keep your property clean and in good decorative order inside.
      • Prevent waste pipes (from sinks, baths or toilets) or drains becoming blocked.
      • Allow our repairs partners into your home to carry out repairs, annual safety checks and any necessary inspections.
      • Repair and maintain any fixture, fitting or appliance you have provided, including washing machines, dishwashers and tumble driers.
      • Prevent and control condensation.
      • Prevent pipes from freezing or bursting by using any heating system provided and by lagging pipes.
      • Make sure that no-one who lives in or visits your home causes any damage.

      Specific responsibilities

      • Replace broken glass in windows and doors, unless you can prove that the cause of the damage was outside of your control and provide a crime reference.
      • Replace keys, fobs or locks for doors or windows if your keys are lost or stolen, or you get locked out.
      • Try to clear any blockages in basins, sinks, baths, toilets and drains.
      • Reset trip switches and replace light bulbs, fluorescent tubes or starters and plug fuses.
      • Repairing, replacing and renewing TV aerials (except communal aerials).
      • Putting up CB aerials and satellite dishes (only with our permission).
    • If damage is caused by you or anyone in your home (including visitors or children) you will be expected to arrange and pay for any necessary repairs. If however, the repairs involve gas, electricity, water or security, we will have to carry them out for safety reasons. We will charge you a reasonable price for the work.

    • By law, Birmingham City Council must have all gas appliances and flues in council properties checked annually, except for gas appliances which you are entitled to have moved/installed by an installer registered on the gas safe register (such as if you have your own cooker). This annual gas service is free.

      We will contact you every year to make an appointment for an engineer to carry out the check.

    • If damage is caused by a break-in, vandalism or other criminal damage, we will carry out work to make your home safe. We can only do further work if you give us a police crime reference number (not a log number). If you can’t provide a crime reference number, we will charge you a reasonable cost for any urgent work we do. We will only do non-urgent work if you pay in advance.

    • Our repair partners will do all they can to make sure that repairs are carried out satisfactorily. However, if the repairs either fail or exceed your expectations, please let them know.

      You can also register your complaint or compliment by filling in the online form or contact the following numbers

      0800 073 3333 - free from a landline

      0121 678 5343 - textphone for people who are deaf or hard of hearing

    • If you feel your personal belongings have been damaged you can make a claim for compensation. For the claim to be considered valid it has to be received within 28 days of the damage taking place or from the time you noticed it.

      Once submitted, we will investigate your compensation claim. It will be dealt with by the relevant department:

      Personal Loss or Negligence: your local housing team.

      Personal Injury: the council’s insurance office.

      It's important to note that if your claim is successful and you owe rent arrears or other debts to the council, any compensation you get will automatically go towards repaying these debts.

      Please contact the customer involvement office for your area:

      South 0121 303 6879

      Central 0121 464 4903

      North 0121 303 1802

    • Yes, you have the right to make your own improvements such as installing a new bathroom or kitchen.

      Before you start, however, you must tell the council what you are planning to do and get our written permission. We will only say no if there is a good reason, for example, if the work would make your home unsafe. Your Local Housing Team can tell you how to get this permission.

      Any work you have done must be carried out by a competent and suitably experienced person. If the property is damaged by the work, we will ask you to put things right. If we have to put things right we will charge you.

    • Yes, you have the right to make alterations to the inside of your home, as long as you don’t remove structural walls or windows or cause damage to the outside or shared parts of the building.

      You must not make alterations to the structure of the building, including windows, without written consent from the leasehold team on any of the numbers listed below. Please be aware that it may take some time for consent to be given, depending on the terms of your lease. You can contact the leasehold team on 0121 303 2147 and 0121 303 2148.

    • The precise details of repair responsibilities for your building are set out in your lease.

      Leaseholders are responsible for:

      • All internal parts of the home including non-structural walls and partitions.
      • Fixtures and fittings within the homes unless they specifically belong to the council, for example an entry phone system.
      • Cables, pipes and drains within the home or that serve it exclusively, for example a water tank.
      • Glazing and external doors, locks or fasteners. (please refer to FAQ As a leaseholder what repairs are the council responsible for?)
      • Internal decoration, including plaster and finishes to walls, ceilings or floors.
      • Ceilings, but not joists or beams.
      • Accidental damage, for example breaking a wash hand basin.

      Some of these items may be covered by your household insurance, or our insurance of the building.

      For further information please contact the leasehold team on any of the below numbers.

      0121 675 6718
      0121 303 2147
      0121 303 2148

    • The following is a list of repairs the council are responsible for:

      • All communal repairs (repairs to shared areas and the structure of the building)
      • Blocked balcony drain
      • Soil and Vent pipe in flat including stub branches to WC (the fitting connecting the toilet to the soil pipe branch is the leaseholder responsibility)
      • Main supply pipe for gas going into the meter including gas isolation value, anything beyond this isolation is the leaseholder responsibility
      • Sub-Main to the electricity distribution board going into the meter, anything beyond this point is the leaseholder responsibility
      • Supply pipes from the gas/electric meters is the leaseholder responsibility
      • Rising water main to stop tap (including stop tap) anything beyond this isolation is the leaseholder responsibility
      • Door entry phones in flats
      • Window frames, including balcony doors are the Council's responsibility - unless the Leaseholder has entered into a Deed of Variation and thereby taken on responsibility themselves.
      • TV sockets in flats connected to the communal TV aerial (supplied/installed by the council)
      • Heat Lease storage heaters where the leaseholder still has a lease agreement with the council
      • Water leaks from above

      NOTE: Gas/Electric meters are service supplier responsibility

      Additional repairs that may be council responsibility:

      Fencing will be as allocated in accordance with the lease agreement

      • For house conversions the above will apply including:
        • Chimney stacks and flues
        • Cellars, roof spaces and lofts generally these will remain the council responsibility

      For further information, advice and clarification please contact the leasehold team on any of the numbers below:

      0121 675 6718
      0121 303 2147
      0121 303 2148

      For repairs you as a leaseholder are responsible for please refer to FAQ - As a leaseholder what repairs am I responsible for?

      The precise details of repair responsibilities for your building are set out in your lease.

    • We will send a reminder when the gas service is due and provide you with a date this will take place. If it has been over 12 months since the last service was carried out then contact to arrange the inspection from the link below.

      Gas Servicing
    • At present these repairs would need to be reported by phoning the contact centre. Contact details can be found in the Contacts section above. Once reported the repair partners will attend and resolve the issue. Further information regarding what the council are responsible for can be found in the above FAQ 'What repairs are the council responsible for?'

    • If you can smell gas you should call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 and then phone the housing repairs contact centre on 0800 073 3333.

    • Birmingham city council aims to provide homes that are clean, safe and ready to move into. We have an Empty Property Repairs Standard and our repairs contractors work to this standard to make sure homes are fit to live in.

      If you are not happy with the standard of accommodation you should contact your local Housing Office who will look into any issues raised.

    • As part of our Empty Property Repair Standard, we will ensure that floors, cupboards and wash surfaces are clean. There should also be air fresheners in the kitchen, bathroom and living areas.

    • When you move into your property, we guarantee there will be a gas or electric cooker point in the kitchen. If the property already has a gas cooker point, we cannot fit an electric cooker point for you. The viewing officer will advise you of the cooker point facilities available when you are shown the property.

Website feedback

What do you think of this page?