Birmingham Cycle Revolution
Folding bike hire with Brompton Bike Hire. Now available at Moor Street Queensway, Colmore Row and New Street.
Our Vision is to make cycling an everyday way to travel in Birmingham over the next 20 years. We want 5% of all trips in the city to be made by bike by 2023 and to double this again to 10% by 2033. This will help to make our city healthier, greener, safer and less congested.
We will start by improving cycling facilities within a 20-minute cycling time of Birmingham city centre, with 95km of improvements to existing routes and 115km of new cycle routes. We will:
- Improve cycling conditions on popular routes into the city centre;
- Provide quiet cycling routes and 20mph areas within residential areas;
- Upgrade towpaths on canals;
- Develop new cycling green routes through parks and open spaces;
- Improve local links to cycle routes;
- Provide new secure cycle parking hubs; and
- Develop cycle loan and hire schemes to make it easier for people to get started.
This will be supported by the Big Birmingham Bikes programme of free bikes, cycle training, and activities with employers, schools and communities to encourage cycling and the Birmingham Cycle Rewards app. There will be many opportunities for people in Birmingham to join in.
Birmingham City Council and its partners have already begun to deliver improvements. Works on canal towpath routes, green routes and local links have started.
Over the Summer 2014, we will consult on cycling improvements on key routes into the city centre and 20mph areas. Cycling improvements will be built throughout 2014 and 2015. See all current consultations.
For more information on the project, progress updates or how you can get involved please contact the Birmingham Cycle Revolution team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, tweet us @BhamCityCouncil #bcr or like Birmingham Cycle Revolution on Facebook.