Voting in person

How to find your polling station

Your polling station location will be printed on your poll card. You can also find it by entering your postcode one the Where Do I Vote website.

Due to the very short time between the election being announced and the polling station venues needing to be confirmed, some of you may be going to a different location to where you did in May. Your polling station may also be further away than it has been previously.

If you have difficulties getting to the polling station, you may wish to consider a postal or proxy vote instead.

Voter ID

The process of voting in person has changed. You will be required to show photographic ID to receive your ballot paper.

You will not need voter ID to vote by post.

If you appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf at the polling station, your proxy will be required to show their photo ID before they can vote for you.

Photo ID you can use

Acceptable forms of photo ID include:

  • passport
  • driving licence (including provisional licence)
  • blue badge
  • certain concessionary travel cards
  • identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • biometric immigration document
  • defence identity card
  • certain national identity cards

If your photo ID has expired, it will still be accepted if the photograph still looks like you.

If your name on your ID is different to how your name appears on the electoral register (for example if you got married and one still shows your maiden name), you may be required to show further proof of identity to receive a ballot paper.

Find a full list of valid photo ID and more information on voting and bringing ID on the Electoral Commission website.

If you do not have an acceptable form of photographic ID

If you do not already have any acceptable forms of photo ID, you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate (VAC).

A VAC is a free photographic identification document issued to allow you to vote in the polling station.

The VAC is not accepted as proof of identity for any other purpose other than voting.

How to get a Voter Authority Certificate (VAC)

To get a free Voter Authority Certificate (VAC), you can apply:

We will verify your identity before issuing the VAC.

The deadline for applying for a VAC is 5:00pm 6 working days before the election you wish to use it in. This means that the deadline to apply for a VAC for the general election in July 2024 is 5:00pm on Wednesday 26 June 2024.

You can apply at any time. The VAC is always valid so you should keep it safe. It is recommended that you renew the VAC after 10 years or when the photo no longer looks like you.

You do not need to reapply for a VAC when you move house within Birmingham or to/from another local authority area.

If you have not received your VAC within 28 days of application, contact us.

Where a scheduled election is due to take place in Birmingham and you applied before the 5:00pm deadline 6 working days before poll, contact Electoral Services immediately. We will investigate and where appropriate issue you a Temporary Voter Authority Certificate to use on the upcoming specified poll date.

Page last updated: 31 May 2024

rating button