Any incident whether it is large or small, accident or deliberate, can cause major disruption to your business. Disruptions can happen at any moment and can cost money. Examples include:
- large scale fire or terrorism
- flooding or heavy snow
- power outages and/or network failure
- cyber attacks
- loss of a key supplier
Business continuity is about having a plan to deal with difficult situations. This will help your organisation continue to function with as little disruption as possible and return to "business as usual" afterwards.
Some hard decisions will have to be made, such as:
- what do you do with your staff?
- how do you tell the community/customer that you cannot provide 'business/service as usual'?
- how do you meet important deadlines?