West locality is made up of Ladywood and Perry Barr constituencies.
- In 2017 the total population of West locality was 258,700 people. 41% of the population are aged under 25 years, 9% of the population are aged 65 years or older.
- The 2011 census showed that 67% of this area’s population are made up of BAME groups (15% England).
- Life expectancy in West locality is lower than the national average. For males life expectancy at birth is 76.3 years (England 79.5) and females 81.5 years (England 83.1).
- Coronary heart disease is the main cause of early death in this area.
- Infant mortality is an area of concern: the rate was 9.0 per 1,000 live births during 2013 to 2015; this compares to 3.9 nationally.
- 28% of 10-11 year olds are obese in this locality. The highest prevalence in Birmingham.
- West locality has the highest number of A&E attendances.
- The death rate for diabetes is significantly higher than the Birmingham and national rates.
West locality is made of 2 constituencies:
- Download the full profile for Ladywood constituency
- Download the full profile for Perry Barr constituency
Birmingham Public Health have produced health inequality infographics for each of Birmingham’s 69 wards:
- Download infographics for wards within Ladywood constituency
- Download infographics for wards within Perry Barr constituency
Public Health reports for smaller area geographies such as wards and MSOA are available using Public Health England’s Local Health web tool.