South locality is made up of Edgbaston and Northfield constituencies.
- In 2017 the total population of North locality was 209,000 people. 35% of the population are aged under 25 years, 15% of the population are aged 65 years or older.
- The 2011 census showed that 22.5% of this area’s population are made up of BAME groups (15% England).
- Life expectancy in South locality is lower than the national average. For males life expectancy at birth is 78.0 years (England 79.5) and females 82.5 years (England 83.1).
- Coronary heart disease is the main cause of early death in this area.
- Educational achievement in the foundation year is lower than the Birmingham average.
- Prevalence of asthma is higher than the Birmingham and national average.
- Second highest prevalence of cancer of all Birmingham localities.
South locality is made of 2 constituencies:
- Download the full profile for Edgbaston constituency
- Download the full profile for Northfield constituency
Birmingham Public Health have produced health inequality infographics for each of Birmingham’s 69 wards:
- Download infographics for wards within Edgbaston constituency
- Download infographics for wards within Northfield constituency
Public Health reports for smaller area geographies such as wards and MSOA are available using Public Health England’s Local Health web tool