East locality is made up of Hodge Hill and Yardley constituencies.
- In 2017 the total population of East locality was 242,000 people. 41% of the population are aged under 25 years, 11% of the population are aged 65 years or older.
- The 2011 census showed that 50% of this area’s population are made up of BAME groups (15% England).
- Life expectancy in East locality is lower than the national average. For males life expectancy at birth is 76.2 years (England 79.5) and females 80.6 years (England 83.1).
- Lung cancer is the main cause of early death in this area.
- Infant mortality is an area of concern: the rate was 9.4 per 1,000 live births during 2013 to 2015; this compares to 7.9 for Birmingham and 3.9 nationally.
- Less than 1% of adults with a learning disability are in paid employment.
- Highest prevalence of diabetes of all Birmingham localities.
East locality is made of 2 constituencies:
- Download the full profile for Hodge Hill constituency
- Download the full profile for Yardley constituency
Birmingham Public Health have produced health inequality infographics for each of Birmingham’s 69 wards:
- Download infographics for wards within Hodge Hill constituency
- Download infographics for wards within Yardley constituency
Public Health reports for smaller area geographies such as wards and MSOA are available using Public Health England’s Local Health web tool.