Central locality is made up of Hall Green and Selly Oak constituencies.
- In 2017 the total population of Central locality was 228,980 people. 39% of the population are aged under 25 years, 13% of the population are aged 65 years or older.
- The 2011 census showed that 45% of this area’s population are made up of BAME groups (15% England).
- Life expectancy in Central locality is lower than the national average. For males life expectancy at birth is 77.6 years (England 79.5) and females 82.0 years (England 83.1).
- Coronary heart disease is the main cause of early death in this area.
- Infant mortality is an area of concern: the rate was 7.4 per 1,000 live births during 2013 to 2015; this compares to 3.9 nationally.
- Hospital admissions for respiratory conditions have increased since 2012.
Central locality is made of 2 constituencies:
- Download the full profile for Hall Green constituency
- Download the full profile for Selly Oak constituency
Birmingham Public Health have produced health inequality infographics for each of Birmingham’s 69 wards:
- Download infographics for wards within Hall Green constituency
- Download infographics for wards within Selly Oak constituency
Public Health reports for smaller area geographies such as wards and MSOA are available using Public Health England’s Local Health web tool.