Birmingham City Council section 114 notice updates

To find out more about the section 114 notice, visit our section 114 page

Housing associations

About housing associations

Housing associations are independent, non-profit-making organisations. They provide homes for people to rent, buy, or both. 

Types of housing available

Housing associations offer a range of housing across Birmingham for all kinds of people.

They can offer:

  • housing for older people
  • sheltered housing
  • housing for younger people
  • housing for vulnerable people with specific needs

Housing associations are usually part-funded by central government. They work closely with local councils to help house people who are on the housing register list, as well as people who apply to them directly.

How to rent a housing association property

To secure most types of social housing, you will normally have to bid.

This means you will be prioritised based on your individual circumstances. So, while you get to choose your area and register your interest in properties, it may still take a long time to secure social housing.

Most housing association properties are advertised on Birmingham Choice. This means you will have to register. You will be given a banding according to your priority.

Midland Heart and Bournville Village Trust also have their own bidding systems.

How to buy a housing association property

If you cannot afford to buy a home on the open market, some housing associations offer shared ownership schemes.

Immediate lets

There are often housing association properties that are immediately available to rent. These are advertised on Zoopla, Rightmove and On the Market. However, it is always best to contact the housing associations directly.

Page last updated: 24 March 2023

rating button