Are you struggling with the cost of living?

You can find help with accessing grants, useful advice and money that you may be entitled to. Visit our cost of living support page

House shares and lodging

A room in a shared house offers a cheaper alternative to renting a complete self-contained unit and may give you a chance to save some money towards a deposit for your own place.  It also gives you an opportunity meet new people and to get support from others going through a similar experience.

If you are under 35 with no children and will be relying on housing benefit to cover your rent payments then you may need to consider renting a room in a shared house rather than renting self-contained accommodation.  This is because the housing benefit you are entitled to is limited to the shared room rate.

Lodging is another cheap alternative to renting self-contained accommodation is to become a lodger.  

Further advice on private rented accommodation including shared accommodation is available.

rating button