We believe in promoting fairness and equal opportunities for all our customers and staff. We monitor different characteristics and needs, such as age, race, and sex of customers and staff, and this allows us to address equality issues.
We consider equality and good relations in our day-to-day council activities and we analyse the impact our functions might have on different groups of people.
Each of the council's service areas has its own equality assessments and you can find these on the Directorate download pages below:
- Economy Directorate downloads for equality and diversity
- Equality impact assessments on Council Budget Savings Proposals 2020+
- People Directorate - Adults, downloads for equality and diversity
- People Directorate - Children and families, downloads for equality and diversity
- Place (local services) Directorate downloads for equality and diversity
Economy Directorate is responsible for services such as revenue and benefits, payroll and HR, and the finance, strategy, and legal divisions of the council.
People Directorate - Adults used to be called Social care and health, and before that, Social Services. We help adults in Birmingham live as independently as they can.
People Directorate - Children and families covers fostering and adoption, schools, special education needs, reporting concerns and more.
Place (local services) Directorate is responsible for services such as housing, youth services, leisure centres, environmental health and protection, bereavement, parks, school crossing patrols and waste management.