Birmingham City Council section 114 notice updates

To find out more about the section 114 notice, visit our section 114 page

How to make a referral

If you have a duty to refer, you can make a referral through the ALERT referral system.

Note that making a referral does not trigger an emergency response from us.

Make a referral.

If you are referring someone who is already homeless, phone 0121 303 7410 for further advice.

If you are calling out of hours, this number will be diverted to the Emergency Duty Team.

What you will need

To make a referral, you will need to create an account or log into the referral portal called ALERT. For this, you need a valid organisational email address and will need to create a password.

You will also need to give details about the person(s) you are referring.

This may include:

  • their preferred method of contact
  • information about their current housing situation
  • any support needs they may have

Before you start

Before you make a referral, you must:

  • get consent to the referral from the person(s) you are referring
  • allow the person(s) to identify the housing authority in England that they want to be referred to
  • make sure the person(s) you are referring has agreed for you to give their contact details out – this is so that the housing authority can contact them

You may wish to complete the referral form with the person(s) you are referring. If that is not possible, the form will also allow you to only enter information that you know of.

Be aware

A referral does not replace a homelessness application. The person(s) you are referring will still need to make an application if they wish to seek our help.

Following a referral, the Housing Solution and Support Service will contact the person(s) to begin enquiries. If it is found the person(s) is homeless or threatened with homelessness, and they still want our help, then a homeless application will be made.

Referring to authorities outside Birmingham

From the ALERT referral portal, you can make a referral to many different housing authorities in England.

If the housing authority you want to refer to is not available for selection, consult that housing authority's website.

Page last updated: 24 March 2023

rating button