Information for parents
Many schools experience traffic related issues at the start and end of the school day. Birmingham City Council has introduced Car Free School Streets to address these issues by restricting traffic in the streets surrounding some schools at drop off and pick up times.
Building on the success of the initial pilot, the initiative is being expanded to include 6 additional schools for the 2020 to 2021 academic year.
Identified streets around schools will become a Pedestrian and Cycle Zone for agreed times (of between 30 minutes and 1 hour) at the start and end of the school day. Signs at the entrance to the zone will inform people of these restrictions. Motor vehicles cannot drive in this zone between these times unless they have a permit.
Parents and others who do have to drive are asked to park (legally) nearby and walk the last part of their journey. Where possible, we are working with schools to identify suitable locations for "Park and Stride" schemes and/or to develop Walking Buses.
The times vary at different schools due to different start and finish times; also some schools now finish earlier on certain days, e.g. Fridays. The times for each individual scheme will be included on the signs at the entrance to each zone and will be widely publicised locally. Details of the times and locations of the schools can be found below.
Phase 1 schools
- Alston Primary (Heartlands)
- Chilcote Primary (Hall Green South)
- Cofton Primary (Longbridge & West Heath)
- Featherstone Primary (Stockland Green)
- Nelson Primary (Ladywood),
- St Francis CE Primary (Bournville & Cotteridge)
Phase 2 schools
- Anderton Park Primary (Moseley)
- Hillstone Primary (Shard End)
- Holy Cross Catholic Primary (Sutton Walmley & Minworth)
- Somerville Primary (Small Heath)
- Woodthorpe Junior and Infant (Brandwood & Kings Heath)
- Wyndcliffe Primary (Bordesley Green)