George Dawson (1821 to 1876)
George Dawson was a non-conformist preacher, lecturer and politician. Originally a baptist minister at the Mount Zion Baptist Chapel in Graham Street, Birmingham on the outskirts of the Jewellery Quarter, Dawson left the Baptist Church in 1847 to become minister of the Church of the Saviour in Edward Street, Parade. It was here that he developed the concept of the Civic Gospel, which was highly influential on the transformation of Birmingham.
Dawson was also an advocate of free education and served on the school board. He helped found the Shakespeare Memorial Library and spoke at the opening of the Birmingham Reference Library in 1866.
Cabinet card by H J Whitlock, New Street, Birmingham.
Cabinet card typical dimensions - 110mm x 170mm, 4.5in x 6.5in
Original mounted on card so reverse side not available.