Adopted Sutton Coldfield Town Centre Masterplan Supplementary Planning Document (SPD)
- The purpose of these documents is to set out the aspirations for the regeneration of the town centre and provide guidance to support planning applications.
- Download related file(s)
The SPD provides detailed policy and design guidance for the town centre, building upon the strategic policies of the Birmingham Development Plan (2017). It will be an important material consideration in determining planning applications in the area.
The masterplan sets out an ambitious road map to make Royal Sutton Coldfield town centre a great place for local people, visitors, businesses and investors in the short and long-term.
At the heart of the Masterplan are a series of ‘Big Moves’, including:
- Reducing segregation caused by the ring road to better connect Birmingham Road, Parade, High Street and Sutton Park;
- Balancing the space given to cars, bicycles and people to create safer, more appealing streets;
- Creating new innovative public spaces at the heart of the town centre – inspiring more community use, and improving the look and feel of Parade and Lower Parade offering more seating, lighting and greenery;
- Encouraging opportunities to broaden the type of shops, bars, restaurants and community, culture and heritage facilities in the town centre, while promoting opportunities for town centre living; and
Protecting and promoting the historical environment in the town centre, living up to the ‘Royal’ name, and introducing more natural features and planting.
The council has published an adoption statement which provides details of adoption, where the document can be viewed and rights of challenge.
The adopted Town Centre Masterplan SPD (2021) will supersede the Sutton Coldfield Town Centre Regeneration Framework (2009) SPD. The Council has published a formal notice revoking the 2009 SPD.
The Sutton Coldfield Town Centre Masterplan Consultation Statement provides a summary of the formal engagement undertaken whilst producing the SPD and demonstrates how the issues raised have been addressed in the adopted version.
Sutton Coldfield Town Centre Regeneration Partnership
The masterplan was commissioned by Sutton Coldfield Town Centre Regeneration Partnership. The partnership was formed in 2018 to bring together representatives from the public, private and third sector to promote the development of a new vision for the town centre.
Representatives include Royal Sutton Coldfield Town Council, Birmingham City Council, Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership, Greater Birmingham Chambers of Commerce, FOLIO Sutton Coldfield, Sutton Coldfield BID, West Midlands Combined Authority and Transport for West Midlands.
Further details on the Regeneration Partnership can be found on the Sutton Coldfield Town Council website.
Below you will find the supporting documentation and evidence base used to inform the SPD production:
The following documents are held on the Sutton Coldfield Town Council website:
- Sutton Coldfield Project Interdependency (2021)
- Sutton Coldfield Town Centre Masterplan Consultation Document (2020)
- Sutton Coldfield Town Centre Masterplan Baseline Study December (2019)
In addition to the online and printed documents, requests for a document in alternative formats will be considered on a case by case basis including large print, another language and type talk.
Once specific requests are made via email or a phone call, planning officers will act within a reasonable timeframe (normally 14 working days), to ensure all reasonable customer requests are met and are recorded to comply with the Planning and Regeneration Customer Charter.