How to get help for children with special educational needs

Published: Tuesday, 23rd March 2021

Birmingham City Council has launched its Local Offer website.

The website includes information on the wide range of services that are available to support all areas of a child’s life (0-25 years) with a Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND).

Every local authority in England has a duty to provide children and young people, (0-25 years) with support if they have Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (The Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014 (Part 4)).

The support on offer from education, health and social care within a local authority is known as the Local Offer which has to be published on the Local Offer website.

Nichola Jones, Assistant Director Inclusion, SEND and Wellbeing for Birmingham City Council said: "I am delighted to launch the Local Offer website, which is a fantastic resource for all families in Birmingham, but most importantly, for those caring for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). Thank you to all those involved in making this website the ‘one stop shop’ for SEND information in Birmingham and we look forward to continuing to build on the resources that are already helping our city’s families."

Richard Selwyn, Transformation Director from Birmingham Children’s Partnership, added: "Birmingham’s Local Offer website is a great place for all families and professionals to know what support is available across the city. For example, if you want help with food, mental health needs, debt advice or early help. I hope the new website will make it even easier for all families to find these services and help."

The Local Offer website includes help including:

  • Sources of support, advice and information for children, young people and families including support groups and forums.
  • Arrangements to identify and assess children and young people with SEN, including how an assessment can be requested.
  • Childcare, including suitable provision for disabled children and those with SEND.
  • Support available to young people in higher education, particularly the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) and the process and timescales for making an application for DSA.
rating button