National lockdown announced for England
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tonight (Monday, 4 January) announced England will enter another national lockdown.
Effective immediately, people are being told to remain at home and only leave the house to:
- shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
- go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
- exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
- meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one
- seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
- attend education or childcare - for those eligible
Colleges, primary and secondary schools will remain open only for vulnerable children and the children of critical workers. All other children will learn remotely until February half term. Early Years settings remain open.
Find out more about how the new lockdown will affect you on the Government's Coronavirus webpages.