Changes to Cemetery opening hours in preparation for Christmas
Birmingham City Council has announced the opening hours for its cemeteries and crematoria over Christmas and New Year.
Visitor hours for the city’s cemeteries have recently changed due to an increase in the number of deaths caused by flu and Covid-19. This has caused an increase in the number of funerals.
To ensure compliance with the law and allow social distancing and to keep grieving families and staff safe, the city council has reduced visitor hours to allow for these additional funerals to take place.
The opening hours will change for the Christmas period, as they have for other religious festivals throughout the year, to allow for more people to visit their loved ones.
The hours will be as follows:
- Thursday 24 December 2020: The majority of sites will have no burial or cremation services and so will be open 8:30am –to 4pm
- An exception will be made for Sutton New Hall and Kings Norton Cemeteries where both will provide short notice burial services 10am to midday only. Both cemeteries will open to visitors 12:30pm to 6pm
- Friday 25 December 2020: No burial or cremation services will take place and all sites will be open 10am to 4 pm. This is the only day of the year the city closes its bereavement services.
- Saturday 26, Sunday 27 December, Monday 28 December 2020 and Friday 1 January 2021 (New Year’s Day): The majority of sites will have no burial or cremation services and so will be open 8:30am to 4pm
- An exception will be made for Sutton New Hall Cemetery where it will provide short notice burial services 10am to midday only. The cemetery will be open to visitors 12:30pm to 4:30pm
- Tuesday 29 to Thursday 31 December and from 2 January 2021: normal opening hours will resume as listed on the council’s website.
Cllr Sharon Thompson, cabinet member for homes and neighbourhoods said, “Every year in Birmingham we see an increase in the number of families wishing to visit a loved one’s grave at Christmas. We anticipate that with the tough year many have had, this Christmas will be no exception.
“That is why we’re working hard to allow more flexibility in opening times so that the increased number of visitors aren’t forced to be in close proximity. But, we ask that if you do choose to visit over the Christmas period, please ensure you follow all social distancing guidelines and help us to keep everyone as safe as possible."
The city council’s registration service is operating for urgent requests only between 25 and 28 December 2020 and on 1 January 2021.
For more information on opening hours, please visit our cemetery web pages.