Right to Buy - buying your council home


Right to Buy allows most council tenants to buy their council home at a discount.

Birmingham City Council tenants are now able to apply online using their BRUM Account.

Through your BRUM account, you will be able to monitor the progress of your application and will be notified when it is processed.

What happens once you have submitted your application:

  • you will receive a response within 28 days.
  • From the date of admittance, you will receive your "Notice of Offer Price" within 8 weeks for a house or 12 weeks for a flat or maisonette.
  • You will then have 3 months from the date of your offer to accept or decline your "Notice of Offer Price".  During this time, you will need to organise your legal representative and funding.
  • If you choose to accept your "Notice of Offer Price" and continue to purchase your council property, it will take several months for the conveyancing process to be completed.
  • If you choose to decline your "Notice of Offer Price" and cancel your Right to Buy application, you will continue to be a council tenant and your tenancy will continue as normal.  You will be able to re-apply at a future date if you wish.

Before you apply for the Right to Buy, we recommend that you read the government’s guidance booklet for further information and to see if the Right To Buy is right for you.

Free help and advice

Tenants don't always get good advice when they ask companies or other people for help with buying their council home. Sometimes tenants pay a lot of money for things that you can get for free. If a person or company offers to help you to buy your council home, find out what's in it for them.

Talk to the Right to Buy Service before agreeing to anything.

The Right to Buy service will help you with:

  • Finding out if you are eligible for the Right to Buy
  • Working out your discount
  • Looking at your funding choices
  • Guidance about the costs involved and whether you can afford it long term
  • Completing your application form
  • Finding a solicitor

You can contact the governments Right to Buy service on the GOV.UK website

rating button