What is happening
Artist impression of new look Digbeth High Street
The public realm improvements are expected to complete summer 2022 and will include:
- A two-way Metro running on the southern side (closest to the coach station) linking Digbeth to the West of Birmingham and the Black Country;
- A wide area of attractive public space with planting, trees, street lighting and flexible spaces for seating;
- One lane in each direction for general traffic on the northern side;
- Removal of some turning movements for traffic onto and off Digbeth, and at junctions on nearby side roads;
- Changes to the direction of traffic flows on some of the surrounding roads;
- A ‘bus, cycle and hackney carriage’ priority on one part of the road to remove through traffic while allowing access for local servicing (provision for loading will be from designated bays and side streets).
The improvements are set to complete in summer 2022. Passenger services are to start by 2025.
We have created a map displays the project described on these web pages. It visualises the different road use, new transport stops such as those for the metro and new one-way systems.
Phase one – Tuesday 6 July for approximately four weeks
Lane restrictions will be in place to allow for the removal of the central reservation.
Phase two – late July for approximately eight weeks
Further lane restrictions will be implemented as activity moves to the outbound carriageways heading away from the city centre.
Phase three – autumn until summer 2022
During this time, construction will be focused on the inbound lanes with restrictions to the carriageways heading towards the city centre.