Deferred payment

The Care Act made it a legal requirement for deferred payment agreements to be made available.

A deferred payment is a legal agreement between you and the city council. The agreement allows you to use the value of your home to help pay your care and support costs.

This amount would be repaid at a later time. You can delay repaying until you choose to sell your home, or until after your death.

Who can request a deferred payment?

You can make an application for a deferred payment agreement if you meet all three of the following:

  • you have an eligible need
  • you have less than £23,250 in assets excluding the value of your home (for example, in savings and other non-housing assets); and
  • your home is not disregarded from the financial assessment

Does the council have to agree to grant you a deferred payment?

No, the council may refuse a request for a deferred payment agreement, even if you meet the criteria where:

  • the council is unable to secure a first charge on your property
  • you are seeking a top up that is unsustainable
  • you do not agree to the terms and conditions of the deferred payment agreement

Download the Deferred payment leaflet for more information

Page last updated: 18 January 2023

rating button