rating button
Overview | Swap homes with someone | Birmingham City Council

Key announcements

Due to essential maintenance some of our online forms will be unavailable from 9am to 4pm on Saturday 6 March 2021. We apologise for any inconvenience. Coronavirus (COVID-19) National lockdown: Stay at Home


If you are a Birmingham City Council tenant, you can swap houses with a tenant living in another council or housing association property.

A swap can be a faster way of finding a new home than applying for a transfer, especially if your transfer application is assessed as a low priority.

If you live in a property that isn't managed by Birmingham City Council, then you must get your landlord's permission before you swap homes.

Usually two tenants swap their homes, but it is possible to have several tenants involved in a chain of swaps.

Where there are no Birmingham City Council tenants within your chain, you do not need to inform the council of your interest in swapping homes.

However, if one of the tenants within your chain is a Birmingham City Council tenant, then you must seek approval from the council.