COVID-19: Affected library services
Birmingham libraries are offering a new "Order and Collect" service from 11am on Wednesday 5 August. You can place your order from Monday 3 August (community libraries re-opening dates vary, please check the individual library for a confirmed date).
What is order and collect?
You will be able to place a request to collect up to 6 items held at the library
- You put in your request online or by telephone (check the opening hours for your local library)
- We select the items on your behalf
- You then arrange a time to collect
Details of the order and collect service are on our affected council services pages.
For Benefit Verification
Your online form will provide you with details of what evidence we require and how best to provide that evidence to us. You can return to your online form at any time using your form reference number.
For most claims and change in circumstances we do not require further evidence, and your online form will automatically not request any further evidence from you.
Where possible we will use evidence you have previously supplied us or evidence you have provide to claim other benefits to verify your current circumstances.
If we have asked you to upload evidence you can do this at any time, by returning to your online form.
If your online form has requested evidence and you have not been given the option to upload the evidence, or are not able to upload the evidence, then you should follow the guidance below:
If you are making a claim for council tax support only and you currently claim Universal Credit, you will not need to provide us documents through the post.
If you are required to post evidence this should be sent to the address below:
Birmingham City Council
PO Box 8267
Library of Birmingham
Library of Birmingham phone line is now open Monday to Friday, 10am to 2pm.
Please be patient with us, as we expect high call volumes. When telephoning, please be aware that staff are working from home with limited access to specific information.
You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that the Terraces on Level 3 and 7, the Skyline and Shakespeare Memorial Room on level 9 could be closed without notice. These may be due to inclement weather, essential maintenance or a private event.
Wolfson centre (for archival research) closure weeks
- Closed from Monday 14 September 2020, reopening 22 September 2020
- Closed from Monday 28 December 2020, reopening 5 January 2021
Please check your local library for a re-opening date.
All libraries will be closed:
- Bank Holiday Monday - 31 August 2020
- Christmas Day - Friday 25 December
- Boxing Day - Monday 28 December 2020
- New Year's Day - Friday 1 January 2021
Closure over the rest of the Christmas period to be decided.
- Good Friday - Friday 2 April 2021
- Easter Monday - Monday 5 April 2021
- Early May Bank Holiday - Monday 3 May 2021
- Spring Bank Holiday - Monday 31 May 2021
- Summer Bank Holiday - Monday 30 August 2021
- Substitute Christmas Day - Monday 27 December 2021
- Substitute Boxing Day - Tuesday 28 December 2021
Kings Norton library is closed on the Tuesday following a bank holiday.