Paying for other charges and shared rent
A sundry debt is a charge for a service provided that is separate from your rent or service charge.
You will receive a sundry debt invoice if you have received a service such as a rechargeable repair carried out or if you have a Careline alarm.
A shared equity account is where a customer has purchased part of their property from the council and pays rent for the percentage still owned by Birmingham City Council.
Paying your sundry debt or shared equity rent
Invoices should be paid immediately.
There are several ways that you can pay these accounts:
- By telephone: By telephone: Shared equity and Sundry Debt customers can telephone 0121 464 2001 at any time to pay their rent. Select option 3 and make sure you have your rent payment card and your credit or debit card.
- Online: Shared equity customers are able to pay using their debit or credit card online.
- Standing order: You can set up a weekly, monthly or quarterly standing order from your bank account to pay your shared equity rent account or sundry debt. To set up your payment, telephone the Sundry Debts Team on 0121 675 2420.
- At a PayZone outlet: Shared equity customers can pay with cash or debit card at their local PayZone outlet. You will need your rent payment card.
- At a PayPoint outlet: Shared equity customers can pay their rent with cash only at their local PayPoint outlet. You will need your rent payment card.
- At the Post Office: You can pay your rent or shared equity rent account or sundry debt charge by debit card, cash or cheque at your local Post Office. You will need your rent payment card. Cheques should be made payable to ‘Post Office Ltd’
- By post: you can send a cheque or postal order to Birmingham City Council, Corporate Resources, PO Box 16472, Birmingham, B2 2DY. Make it payable to ‘Birmingham City Council Housing’ and write your name, address and 12 digit payment reference number on the back.
- By bank giro credit: Sundry debt customers can make payment at any bank, although a fee may be charged. Please remember to write your reference number on the back of the cheque.
- Housing Benefit: if you are a shared equity customer on a low income, you may be able to claim Housing Benefit to pay for all or part of your rent. For more information, telephone the Sundry Debt Team on 0121 675 2420.
If you have problems paying your sundry debt or shared equity rent account you should telephone the Sundry Debts Team immediately on 0121 675 2420 or 0121 303 3350. A member of the team can advise you about payment options.
If you are a shared equity customer we will also advise you to make an appointment at a Customer Service Centre for Housing Benefit advice.
If you do not pay your sundry debt we may take legal action against you. You will be liable for any costs we incur from taking this action; they will be added to your debt.
We can also refer your debt to a debt collection agency, to collect on our behalf, who may visit you at home.
If you pay too much on your sundry debt we aim to refund any credit on your account within 10 working days once we have checked that your account is in credit and you have no other debts to be cleared.
If you do not agree with your sundry debt charge you can telephone the Sundry Debts Team on 0121 675 2420 or 0121 303 3350 and a member of the team will advise you.