Old Yardley Park
Church Road, Birmingham B33 8PD
- How to get there and parking
Main entrance on Church Road. Other entrances off Queens Road and School Lane.
- About the park
An attractive park in an historic setting, featuring the Diamond Jubilee Gardens.
- Video introduction
- Facilities at the park
- Children’s play area with slide and climbing frame
- There are no toilets on site.
- Points of interest
- The 149 feet-high spire of Grade 1 listed St Edburgha’s Church, part of the Yardley conservation area, is an inspiring feature on the skyline
- The church dates back to the thirteenth century and is dedicated to King Alfred’s granddaughter, Edburgha of Winchester
- The rose garden is schemed around a memorial fountain inscribed: “In loving memory of Josiah and Caroline Derrington.” Derrington and Sons were listed as brick makers in Hay Mills, Birmingham, in 1888
- The rose beds and herbaceous borders were formally re-named the Diamond Jubilee Gardens in 2012 by John Hemming, MP for Yardley, following a park restoration project by the Yardley Conservation Society
- Other features
- Flat, well-surfaced paths