New Hall Valley Country Park
Wylde Green Road , Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, B76 1NL
The park can be reached via:
- Coleshill Road at the bottom of Reddicap Hill Road, via the cycle path
- by foot or via the carpark on Wylde Green Road (next to Bishop Walsh School)
- by foot under the railway bridges on Ebrook Road and East View Road
- by foot from Fledburgh Drive on the New Hall Estate
- by foot down the cycle path from New Hall Manor Estate
- About the park
This former farmland covers 198 acres of green belt countryside. It is an important nature reserve consisting of historic wetland grazing meadows, Plants Brook stream and a number of listed buildings.
- Awards and status
- Green Flag Award
- Country Park
- Local Nature Reserve
- Park friends group
New Hall Valley Steering Group
There are playgrounds near the pedestrian entrances on Elm Road and Meadow Close.
The oldest site discovered so far at the park is a burnt mound which dates back to between 1700 BCE and 1000 BCE. It was possibly used for cooking or sauna type bathing.
There are a number of listed buildings in the park, including a working 17th century corn mill, and a moated 13th century hotel.
- Historic buildings
There are a number of listed buildings in the park.
New Hall Hotel was originally a 13th century manor house. It is England's oldest inhabited moated manor house.
New Hall Mill is a grade II listed building from the 18th century. It is one of only two surviving water mills in the Birmingham area.
Both buildings are privately owned.
- Picnic area
The Valley is home to a wide range of animals, birds, insects and plants. Kingfishers, heron, dragonflies, water voles and brook trout can be seen in or around the Plants Brook stream.
- Cycle routes
- Outdoor gym
- Walking or jogging routes
There's a 2 kilometre walking route through the park.
Find out more about walking and jogging routes in Birmingham.