Big City Plan
The Big City Plan is a 20-year City Centre Masterplan. It's a vision to encourage and support Birmingham’s continuing transformation into a world class city centre. It covers every aspect of the built environment. This includes:
- Creating 1.5 million square metres of new floorspace
- Creating over 50,000 new jobs
- Contributing £2.1 billion to the economy each year
- Creating a well-connected, efficient and walkable City Centre
- Providing 65,000 square metres of new and improved public spaces
- Providing 28 kilometres of enhanced walking and cycling routes
- Providing over 5,000 new homes with new leisure and recreational facilities to attract more families
- Valuing the city centre’s heritage and cultural assets
- Integrating sustainable development and addressing the impact of climate change as part of the future transformation of the city centre
- Delivering five areas of transformation supporting the growth of the City Core.
The Big City Plan isn't a statutory planning document, but it has been endorsed as a framework for the future development and regeneration of the city centre.