Kings Heath and Moseley
Places for People in Kings Heath and Moseley aims to reduce traffic in residential neighbourhoods to make it safer for people to walk and cycle, and nicer for children to play outside, and neighbours to chat.
The first phase of this scheme was delivered in 2020 with the intention that a second phase would implement a revised area-wide scheme.
A concept design for this scheme can be seen in the plan below:
This design plan has been considered carefully and extensively. We believe it represents an appropriate balance between responding to previous consultation feedback and carrying out our duties to implement necessary policies including; responding to the climate emergency, reducing car trips, and enabling active travel in local neighbourhoods.
The Outline Business Case for this next phase was approved by Cabinet in January 2023 and is now being progressed to the delivery stage.
Programme for delivery
Measures have been grouped into four packages and will be delivered over the next year as follows:
- Package 1: improvements to phase 1 measures (to the west of the High Street) including the York Road pedestrian zone - to be delivered April to May 2024
- Package 2: measures being introduced as part of phase 2 (to the east of the High Street) including new modal filters, one-way streets, and traffic calming - to be delivered August to October 2024
- Package 3: 20mph speed limit across the project area, including all ‘boundary’ roads - to be delivered September to November 2024
- Package 4: a bus gate on Addison Road and reinstate the right turn from Vicarage Road onto A435 Alcester Road - to be delivered October to December 2024
This timeline is based on the current programme but is subject to change in line with any spend control processes in place.
Elements of packages 2, 3, and 4 are also subject to statutory consultation on Traffic Regulation Orders, to take place before construction.
- Cabinet Report - January 2023
- Cabinet Report - frequently asked questions
- View the Kings Heath and Moseley consultation feedback summary report (March 2022)
- View the consultation on the BeHeard website on the Moseley Places for People Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (consultation closed 22 April 2021)
- View the consultation on the BeHeard website on the Kings Heath Low Traffic Neighbourhood Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (consultation closed 22 April 2021)
- View the map of the Air Quality Diffusion Tubes in Kings Heath and Moseley in real-time
Page last updated: 6 November 2023