Handsworth Park, Holly Road, Handsworth, Birmingham B20 2BY
- How to get there and parking
Main entrances are via Hamstead Road and Grove Lane.
The Handsworth Wellbeing Centre and its car park are off Holly Road.
- About the park
Once a gem of Victorian Birmingham, a recent restoration has ensured the park remains a focal point for leisure, recreation and major community events in the heart of the city.
It was first opened in 1888 by the Handsworth Local Sanitary Board and, at the time, was called Victoria Park. Between 2004 and 2006 the park was significantly restored but has retained much of the character that has made it so popular over the decades.
It now covers over 63 acres of landscaped grass slopes, with flower beds, mature trees, shrubs and plenty of wildlife.
The Handsworth Wellbeing Leisure Centre is based at the park and for those looking to mix open air with healthy activity, there are walking routes around the entirety of the park taking in many of its features.
Handsworth Park also hosts a variety of community events, including the annual Vaisakhi celebrations, organised by The Council of Sikh Gurdwaras in Birmingham, which is believed to be the biggest celebration of its kind in Europe. There is also an annual free family Reggae music event called Simmer Down held there in July.
- Video introduction
- Facilities at the park
- Two play areas, both located near the Leisure Centre, off the Holly Road entrance
- The main play area has sections for both younger and older children
- Awards and status
Green Flag Award
- There are no toilets on site.
- Points of interest
- Permanent and temporary arts trails have been set up throughout the park. Visitors can discover works such as the Pyramid Tower and SS Journey.
- A Victorian ornamental bandstand.
- Other features
- 2km walking routes around the park. Trails and paths are well defined and easily accessible.
- The council’s Ranger Service can be contacted to lead guided walks of the park and educational visits for organised groups at their request. These walks help people gain a better understanding of wildlife, the natural environment as well as the history of Handsworth Park.
- Park friends group
- Parks friends group activities
Formerly the Handsworth Park Association and the Save Handsworth Park group.
- Consists of volunteers who work to protect and improve Handsworth Park.
- Keep in touch with the needs of local residents and park users in order to guide the direction of the park for the future.
- Encourage a general appreciation of the history, flora and wildlife of the park.