Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Extra Care Housing

This kind of housing gives older people who might otherwise consider residential care the chance to stay independent but with greater support.

Extra Care Housing offers independent living with professional staff, plus home care staff on site, an emergency alarm system and community facilities such as communal lounges, hairdressing, laundry and library services. Some schemes offer more, such as a restaurant or cafeteria, a shop and guest room.

The schemes are run in partnership with Adults and Communities and with other housing providers in most instances. (See
Extra Care Housing Schemes.) Some schemes are popular and a waiting list may apply.

How can I apply for Extra Care Housing

  • If you are an older person or you feel vulnerable, a
    Birmingham resident and/or on the Council Housing or Housing Provider register. There may be a waiting list for some schemes in certain areas of the city.
    (See Transferring from one council property to another.)

Whatever your circumstances, you should contact your local housing service.

What do I have to pay?

All the schemes vary in cost, depending on the size of the accommodation, for example whether there are single or double bedrooms, and service charges. The amount of rent and service and support charges you pay will depend on the size of your flat and the services you have. You only pay for the Home Care that you need. You may be eligible for help with some of these costs.